Hill County Electric Cooperative (HCE) was started by rural residents of Hill County who wanted to enjoy the benefits of electricity the same way those in the cities had been using for many years.
HCE was incorporated in 1945 as an electric distribution cooperative. The first electric services were provided to members in the spring of 1947.
The first five members to serve on the HCE Board of Trustees were Swen A. Twedt, Peter Wallum, L.J. Koble, M.R. Crowe and Ole Berg.
Harold Ebaugh was the first General Manager of HCE and served in that fashion from 1945 until 1984. Burl Miner served as the second General Manager from 1984 to 1999 followed by John Magyar from 1999 to 2003 and Rick Stevens from 2003 to 2016.
Craig Gates is the current General Manager and today HCE serves approximately 2,300 members over 3,334 miles of line in five counties.